The Government is making continuous efforts to improve the efficiency of major ports in the country. A study was done for benchmarking their efficiency and productivity to international levels, and improving their efficiency.
The Government regularly monitors port projects that aim to modernize and upgrade the infrastructure through modernization and construction of new berths and terminals, installation of state of the art equipment, mechanization of cargo handling systems etc. including dredging projects to accommodate large vessels.
The study has identified a total of 116 port wise action points/initiatives of which 86 initiatives have already been completed. These implemented initiatives have also resulted in improved efficiency and additional operating surplus. The Cargo handled by the Major Ports during the last three years, port wise is as under:
This information was given by Minister of State for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways and C&F Shri Mansukh L Mandaviya in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha today.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships