Krishnapatanam Port is built with a 360 degree approach in accordance with the highest quality Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) standards. Its endeavors towards this focus was awarded at the 8th EHS Award organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) – Southern Region on 14th March 2015 at ITC Park Sheraton, Chennai.
The award applauds Krishnapatnam’s aspirations to empower and enable safe work environment for employees and society as a whole. Krishnapatnam Port takes pride in achieving this award for its path-breaking practices rather than benchmarking practices which motivates and facilitates other organizations to adopt such innovative measures under their EHS programs.
Some of the best EHS practices followed at the port are:
- Creating a green belt that is 33% more than the statutory requirement
- Adopting water harvesting and conservation measures
- Recycling of treated waste water for green belt and dust suppression
- Port is first in India to use Atomizers for efficient dust suppression and reduction in water usage
- Protection of existing mangroves and development of new mangrove areas
- Real time vehicle tracking systems for add-on safety
- Use of high powered vacuum sweeping machines for road cleaning purposes
This award saw a participation of more than 130 corporate organizations across the southern region of CII.
Krishnapatnam Port’s unstinted commitment to sustainable & inclusive growth is a paramount consideration in all its operations. Port strongly believes that it is a national asset which not only contributes to the economic growth but an asset which improves the livelihood of the society and also protecting & promoting environmentally sustainable practices.
Port believes that its role in EHS Management extends far beyond its own premises by encouraging the communities, societies and nearby industrial regions to adopt environment friendly and sustainable operation and processes.
Port’s objective is to have a sustainable & inclusive development with the aim of becoming carbon positive & water positive by 2020.