The International Maritime Human Rights Conference (IMHR) is delighted to announce its latest sponsors: The National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations (NFFO), the Pelagic Freezer-trawler Association (PFA) and the Sociaal fonds voor de trawlvisserij (SFT).
The event, taking place on 14 September, will address the issue of maritime human rights and associated welfare issues throughout the maritime environment by bringing together industry, civil society and government-level leaders for discussion and debate on current issues that universally affect the human element at sea.
The thought-provoking conference programme will cover all aspects of the maritime sector including a focus on the fishing community, with speakers Ment van der Zwan, Senior Policy Advisor, Pelagic Freezer-trawler Association and Chair, FISH-Platform highlighting ‘Human Rights and Fishers Welfare’, and Libby Woodhatch, Head of Advocacy, Seafish, discussing ‘Sustainable Fisheries and the Business Case for integration of Human Rights Provisions’.
On behalf of the Pelagic Freezer-trawler Association & SFT, Ment van der Zwan said: “Fishers serve society with healthy food. They deserve our support through respect for their human rights and decent work arrangements. This is why IMHR’s initiatives are so important.”
The conference is relevant to all those involved in maritime business and the transportation of goods and people by sea, and offers participants a unique chance to hear about the many initiatives that are being taken by the shipping industry, human rights advocates and other interested parties in tackling the urgent issues surrounding human rights protections at sea.
Robert Greenwood, Safety and Training Officer, NFFO, added: “It is imperative that through education, enforcement and social engineering we ensure seafarers’ human rights wherever in the world they are from or choose to work.”
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships