Havila Capella embarks on the maiden voyage and becomes the first new ship on the classic Bergen-Kirkenes route in eighteen years. CEO of Havila Voyages, Bent Martini, says they are very happy to finally cast off and get the very first experience of the Norwegian coast and become an integral part of everyday traffic which forms part of the lifeblood of the coast.
As we have established a new shipping company and built the first new ship in eighteen years with three more new ships in store, I think we should dare to say that the 12.12.21 is a historic day both for Havila Voyages and for the coastal route Bergen-Kirkenes.
The new coastal ships to Havila Voyages are decorated and furnished in a Nordic style. The menu onboard mirrors the coast you sail through, and the ship has large windows throughout to let stunning views bathed in the ever-changing Arctic light. And as a new ship we have been able to tailor it to modern tastes with larger cabins in a contemporary Scandinavian style.
Havila Voyages has spent around NOK 500 million to make the ships environmentally friendly. Among other things, the plug-in hybrid ships have the world’s largest battery packs designed for passenger ships. They weigh 86 tons and have a capacity of 6.1-megawatt hours which is equivalent to 600 top of the range Teslas.
– The batteries allow us to sail for four hours without noise and emissions, and we can sail quietly and sustainably through world heritage fjords and pristine nature.
The battery packs are just one of several measures that mean that our ships cut NOx emissions by around 90 per cent and CO2 emissions by around 25 per cent. The food concept onboard with no buffets and where guests are personally served at their tables for all meals also means that Havila Voyages will cut food waste by a total of 60 tonnes per year.
Martini says Havila Voyages sails among the world’s heritage and priceless nature and should do so in such a way that even those who come after us can experience it in the same way.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships