At the Palm Beach International Boat Show (PBIBS 2021), Navier, a Silicon Valley-based startup, announced the first product for the new brand, a 27-foot foiling performance-craft that is capable of a range exceeding 75 nautical miles all under electric propulsion, with exceptionally advanced autonomy features.
The foils will ensure a smooth ride over chop and the minimal wetted surface reduces drag, resulting in the most efficient operation possible.
- Navier, a Silicon Valley-based startup, is building technology to radically increase the efficiency of small power boats by 90%, while ensuring zero emissions and a vastly superior ride experience.
- Led by two MIT engineers who are avid boaters, with extensive experience in ocean robotics, aerospace flight controls and autonomous systems, the team is working with world-renowned experts involved in America’s Cup foil vessel development.
- The first product is the NAVIER 27, an all-electric hydrofoil performance-craft capable of a range exceeding 75 nautical miles at a 20kt cruising speed. The craft is outfitted with a highly advanced autopilot with features we see in today’s self-driving land vehicles.
- Navier at PBIBS 2021 (located in booth number 309)
High-tech features of the vessel include a highly advanced autopilot capable of both speed and course control, as well as an aerospace-grade foil control system and assistive docking technology, making the Navier 27 the most technologically advanced recreational boat on, or above, the water.
At speeds reaching or exceeding 18 knots, the boat flies on foils that are similar in design to high-performance America’s Cup sailing vessels. In fact, the Navier team includes world-renowned experts involved in the development of America’s Cup foiling race boats.
Sampriti Bhattacharyya is a co-founder and CEO of the new company, designing and building electrically-propelled foiling powerboats, initially for the recreational market. She is an MIT PhD in mechanical engineering, with original contributions in the field of hydrodynamic design. With extensive experience in ocean technology, as well as prior experience as an aerospace engineer building flight control systems at NASA, Sampriti brings an impressive wealth of knowledge to Navier.
Reo Baird is the other co-founder and Navier’s CTO. Reo holds degrees in aerospace, electrical and computer engineering and specializes in autonomous systems. Baird has extensive professional experience in the marine industry, and he is a lifelong boater who has logged over 10,000 ocean miles. His experience and knowledge of advanced autonomous systems will play a key role in the design of the NAVIER 27.
Navier is trying to reinvent the boat as we know it and define the future of waterborne transportation.
NAVIER 27 – main specifications:
- Length – 27′
- Beam – 8’6″
- Foiling speed – 18-30+ kt
- Range – 75+ nmi @ 20kt
- Power – 2x 50kw
- Electri – Draft: 2ft / 5.5ft
- Capacity – 10 passengers
NAVIER 27 – key facts:
- Electric – Goes the distance without noise or pollution
- Active Foil Control – Smooth ride and a sporty handling, enabled by aerospace stabilization technology
- Retracting Foils – Fly above 3-4ft seas or retract foils for beaching and shallow-water operation
- Assisted Docking – Precise sensor-assisted joystick docking free of delays typical in gas boats
- Advanced Autopilot – Perfect speed and cruise control, whether station keeping, trolling, or cruising
- Hazard Alert – NAVIER 27 is aware of its surroundings, alerting you of danger before it’s too late
- Connected – Check in on your boat from anywhere in the world via smartphone
- 2 Versions – Cabin and Open version