Finnlines newbuilding program continues as planned. The construction of Finnlines’ newest environmentally friendly ro-ro vessel was started on 8 June 2020, with the steel cutting in the Chinese Nanjing Jinling shipyard.
All three ordered environmentally friendly hybrid ro-ro vessels will be built with the latest technology available to ensure the lowest CO2 emissions. In addition to lithium-ion battery systems that enable zero-emission operations in the port, they will be equipped with efficient engines, emission abatement systems, and an innovative air lubrication system to reduce hull resistance. The vessels will have the highest Finnish/Swedish ice class.
The first ro-ro vessel is expected to start operation as early as next year, and the other two in 2022.
In addition to this, Finnlines has also ordered two giant Superstar vessels, which will be a pioneer in honoring green values. The total investment including five new vessels is EUR 500 million.
“The new vessels will modernize our fleet further and offer us the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. These will be the most innovative and efficient ro-ro vessels in the world. We continue our successful track record in investing sustainable operation of our fleet”, says Emanuele Grimaldi, CEO of Finnlines.
Hybrid ro-ro vessel, technical details:
- Length: 238m
- Breadth: 34m
- DWT metric tons: 17,400
- Cargo capacity: 5,800 lane metres & 5,600m2 of car decks & about 300 TEU on weather deck
- Flexible for all type of ro-ro cargo whilst tank top and main deck are shaped with strengthened bulkheads and free of pillar areas to accommodate paper and sto-ro concept
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships