The crew consists of 59 FESCO seamen led by an experienced Captain Vladimir Boldakov. In early July about 20 persons of staff were taken on board of the icebreaker in the port of Vladivostok (among them, except the Russians, the citizens of Germany, Austria, New Zealand, Argentina, the UK and Canada).
When the icebreaker departed Vladivostok, there were only four tourists on board. The icebreaker «Kapitan Khlebnikov» will take the most of the passengers at the port of Anadyr. About 100 tourists from the US, UK, Canada and other countries will be picked up in the Chukchi port.
Leaving the port of Anadyr, «Kapitan Khlebnikov» will pass the Russian part of the Arctic along the Northern Sea Route, then will cruise around Greenland, along the coast of Canada, and will arrive in Anadyr by the end of September. During the voyage tourists will visit Wrangel Island, New Siberian Islands, Severnaya Zemlya, Novaya Zemlya, Franz Josef Land, Spitsbergen, Greenland and the Canadian Arctic.
By operating the icebreaker «Kapitan Khlebnikov», FESCO managed to enter the unique market of specialized services and perform passenger and tourist voyages to the Arctic and the Antarctic regions. «Kapitan Khlebnikov» was converted into ice passenger vessel in 1992, the same year FESCO received the necessary certificates and authorizations of the Russian Maritime Register of Shipping.
Thus «Kapitan Khlebnikov» ‘s regular tourist voyages began to the Canadian Arctic, Antarctica, Greenland, the islands of the Bering Sea and other sea and coasts, most of the year held down by ice that create insurmountable obstacles for navigation of transport and passenger vessels. «Kapitan Khlebnikov» made tourist voyages from 1992 to 2011: in winter period there were trips to Antarctica with port calls to Argentina and New Zealand, in the summer — to the Arctic. During 2012 to 2015 passenger voyages were not performed.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine