A key project to support the reduction of GHG emissions from shipping in developing countries through regional maritime technology cooperation centers has been extended to June 2021.
The Global MTCC Network (GMN) project is implemented by IMO and funded by the European Union. The global network of Maritime Technology Cooperation Centres (MTCCs) undertake pilot projects and promote technologies and operations to improve energy efficiency in the maritime sector.
Since their establishment three years ago, the MTCCS in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and the Pacific have established strong regional networks and are becoming important regional players, with technical expertise in the field of maritime energy efficiency and greenhouse gas emissions knowledge.
The Centres have undertaken a range of pilot projects, completed port energy audits, and established branch offices in three countries. More than 50 capacity-building activities have brought together a total of 2,400 attendees from various parts of the maritime sector.
Despite recent challenges due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the MTCCs have developed alternative plans and ensured continued engagement across the regions.
The six-month extension will allow the MTCCs to work towards financial sustainability as well as to continue their efforts in building regional capacity for the implementation of IMO emissions regulations (MARPOL Annex VI) and the decarbonization of maritime operations. Forthcoming events will include a virtual webinar series, online Training of MARPOL Annex VI, and virtual conference and exhibitions.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine