Essar Vizag Terminal Ltd (EVTL) dedicated to the nation its newly commissioned 24 MTPA Vizag iron ore handling complex, which will be inaugurated by Shri. Nitin Gadkari, Hon’ble Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources.
“The Vizag iron ore handling complex is a facility that is truly a national asset. We are committed to realising the Government’s vision of port-led development.” said Mr Prashant Ruia, Director-Essar.
With its state-of-the-art cargo handling equipment, the iron ore handling complex will have the fastest vessel turnaround time for iron ore among Indian ports. Following the project completion, the cargo loading capacity of the facility has been upgraded to 24 MTPA. The iron ore handling complex can now berth Super Capesize vessels up to 200,000 DWT, with a depth of 20 metres, on the outer harbour of Vizag Port.
Special emphasis was given to make the iron ore handling complex environment-friendly. Focus on global best practices in mechanisation and sustainable environment protection has significantly reduced dust emission and spillage, thus improving the carbon footprint and working conditions of the port. EVTL has also strengthened the entire 9.5-km conveyor network and upgraded to PLC automation, which will enable record cargo handling performance.
EVTL took over the project in 2015 on a Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Transfer (DBFOT) basis for a period of 30 years. The iron ore handling complex is an all-weather, deep draft facility that is equipped to serve the rapidly growing markets of South-East Asia, including China, Japan, and Korea. It has dedicated rail connectivity for cargo evacuation from the states of Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Jharkhand.
Mr Rajiv Agarwal, Managing Director, Essar Ports Ltd, added: “The project will help exporters on the east coast benefit from shorter turnaround times and reduced freight costs. The facility will support both export and coastal traffic, furthering the vision of the Sagarmala initiative. We thank the Vizag Port authorities for supporting us in completing this expansion project.”
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine