The new eco-friendly dry cargo vessel of ESL Shipping, a member of the Aspo Group, was christened today at the Jinling shipyard in Nanjing, China. The first of the two ordered vessels was christened Viikki in honor of the shipping company’s tradition to name its ships for places in Helsinki. Viikki is the first ecologically designed district in Finland, and has won a number of national and international awards. The vessel’s godmother is Anne Lexelius, Director, Raw Materials, Procurement at SSAB. According to her request, the christening gift was donated to the Clean Baltic Sea project.
“We are proud to reduce the carbon footprint of our shipping company with these innovative vessels. These new vessels are a significant step towards even greener shipping,” says Aki Ojanen, CEO of Aspo Plc and chairman of the Board of Directors of ESL Shipping.
The 160-meter vessel of 26,000 dwt fueled by liquefied natural gas produces more than 50 percent lower carbon dioxide emissions than vessels of the previous generation.
“Our new vessels are full of innovation, and they are pioneers in eco-friendliness and transportation efficiency,” says Mikki Koskinen, Managing Director of ESL Shipping.
Viikki will start operating in the Baltic Sea during the first half of 2018. The construction of its sister vessel is also proceeding on schedule, and it will be christened in September.
“SSAB assumes responsibility for sustainable oceans by such means as our work to minimize carbon dioxide emissions from our production and our transport operations”, says Thomas Hörnfeldt, SSAB’s VP Sustainability & Public Affairs.
This construction project is part of the Bothnia Bulk project, co-funded partly by the EU. Its objective is to modernize the sea route between Luleå, Oxelösund and Raahe to be more eco-friendly. These vessels have been designed in Finland, and European equipment suppliers account for roughly 60 percent of all vessel systems.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine