Despite the Ever Given blocking the Suez Canal in March 2021, impacting global trade, the canal hit revenue of $6 billion from January until the first half of December. This was confirmed by the Suez Canal Authority chair, Osama Rabie, on Sunday. He mentioned that it was the highest-ever revenue during this period.
About 12% of the trade volume in the world passes through the man-made Suez canal, also Egypt’s significant source of hard currency.
The Suez Canal is a lifeline for seaborne trade as it permits vessels to travel between South Asia and Europe without navigating via Africa, reducing sea voyage distance between India and Europe by at least 7,000 km.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine