In a deadly explosion onboard the product tanker Trung Thao 36 BLC has resulted in the death of one crew member. The incident happened in the anchorage area of the Quang Ngai Port Authori in Vietnam.
One of the cargo tank located midship caught fire and eventually exploded, rupturing open the shipside of the oil tanker.
As per the port authority, the ship has 8 cargo holds and the explosion occurred in the cargo hold number 3. At the time of the explosion, there was no cargo on board the tank.
Mr. Le Van Luong, Director of Quang Ngai Port Authority, told the local media that as soon as the news of the fire and explosion was received at around 6:30 am, they immediately coordinated and deployed fire fighting tugs to the scene. Rescue operations were quickly conducted to find 12 missing crew members.
At around 7:45 am, the fire was brought under control and 11 crew members were safely rescued. However, at about 2:00 p.m. on the same day, the 12th crew member who was identified as Nguyen Thanh Ly, was found dead.
The reason behind the explosion is investigated by the authorities.
Image Credits: nld.com.vn
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships