Herniated discs, strains, sprains, inflammation, stiffness, and tenderness are just some of the back pain symptoms reported to the UK Club due to heavy lifting and day to day shipboard activities.
Back pain is one of the leading causes of disability worldwide and is a common health problem experienced in the maritime workplace. Prolonged sitting, lifting a heavy load, incorrect posture and muscle imbalance are just some of the causes.
With the recent innovations in technology many people find themselves spending all day in front of the computer.
When it’s time to rest often they are doing the same thing in front of the TV or computer screen. Over time you may feel an ache in your back or neck with the pain lasting for several days or even longer.
Prolonged sitting is proven to be bad for your health. The sedentary lifestyle is associated with various health hazards such as heart disease, diabetes, obesity, stroke, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
More information in the advice sheet: Download – Crew_Health_Back_Pain_Bulletin_Proof1.pdf
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine