Leading Classification Society ClassNK has released “Guidelines for Remote Surveys” in preparation for carrying out remote surveys (*1) using ICT (Information and Communication Technology) (*2). The guidelines outline requirements to apply to remote surveys for some types of occasional surveys, and from now on ClassNK will implement remote surveys that satisfy the requirements.
ClassNK has been working on the advancement of surveys using digital technology in research and development in line with their R&D roadmap developed in 2017.
The Society aims to implement more sophisticated and rational surveys using various digital technologies such as IoT technology, ICT, big data, AI, condition monitoring/evaluation, and robotics. Specifically, they aim to develop remote surveys using ICT, ship survey systems for both hull and machinery based on condition monitoring/evaluation technology, and individual digital ship records using digital twins.
For remote surveys using ICT, ClassNK has investigated and examined the types of surveys that can be applied, the types and amounts of information required for remote surveys, and the requirements for the use of ICT, ensuring reliability equivalent to conventional witness surveys with transparency in the application of remote surveys. The guidelines are outcomes of these results and will be reviewed as necessary in accordance with the progress of related technology development.
ClassNK will continue to optimize their surveys using digital technology and will strive for continuous improvement in survey quality and rationalization.
The Guidelines for Remote Surveys are available to download free of charge via ClassNK’s website www.classnk.com for those who have registered for the ClassNK “My Page” service. To register for the “My Page” service free of charge, go to the ClassNK website www.classnk.com and click on the “My Page Login” button.
(*1) Refers to surveys that use ICT for information collection in the survey process and substitute the survey under the presence of the surveyor.
For example, it is assumed that remote surveys will be performed while collecting information necessary for the survey via internet line by using a smartphone or tablet so that the surveyor in a remote location and the onboard crew can communicate with each other (and exchange information such as voice, image, video, etc.)
(*2) In the guidelines, ICT (Information and Communication Technology) refers to communication tools using communication technology.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine