The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) would like to congratulate the recipients of this year’s National Search and Rescue Council’s (NATSAR) Australian Search and Rescue Awards. The awards are presented by the NATSAR Council in recognition of outstanding contribution to search and rescue within the Australian region.
AMSA Executive Director Response, Mr Mark Morrow, said it was a great honour to be able to recognise the brave actions of the recipients. “The actions of these recipients cannot be understated,” Mr Morrow said.
“They have put themselves in harm’s way to save lives and brought the families of those who were tragically lost some peace; all the while displaying incredible bravery in the process.
“This year there were three categories for the awards: Professional, Non-Professional and Long-Standing Contribution to Search and Rescue.
“In the Professional Category, the NSW Police Dive Unit displayed immense courage in a physically demanding operation they carried out in a remote canyon.
“The winners of the Non-Professional Award category were a father son duo, Andrew and Samuel Coronis; who saved the lives of a man, woman and their dog near Moreton Bay.
“The Long-Standing Contribution Award saw Volunteer Marine Rescue Southport be recognised for over five decades of continuous services; including 2,500,000 hours of service and 80,000 lives assisted across an incredible 35,000 rescue activations.
“We also saw some amazing stories being recognised as commendations for each award. Being able to recognise such incredible work, passion and dedication to helping others is a privilege that AMSA is proud to be part of.
“These commendable acts are at the heart of our values as Australians, and I am proud to be able to congratulate the recipients on receiving these significant awards.
“Thank you for your service to our community.”
The winners of the 2021 Australian Search and Rescue awards are:
Professional Search and Rescue Award 2021
- Winners: NSW Police Dive Unit Senior Sergeant Raymond Busby, Sergeant Josh Lisle, Sergeant Steven Wye, Senior Constable Tim Boardman, Senior Constable Ryan Good.
- Commendation: NSW Police Marine Area Command Sergeant Tony Hogg, Senior Constable Matthew Gray, Senior Constable Nicholas Leach.
Non-Professional Search and Rescue Award 2021
- Winners: Andrew Peter Coronis and Samuel Michael Coronis.
- Commendation: Captain Rohit Upadhyay, Chief Officer Santosh Kumar and the crew of the ship Godam.
Long-standing Contribution to Search and Rescue Award 2021
- Winners: Southport Volunteer Marine Rescue.
- Commendation: Mr Francis Egan.