The largest self-propelled U.S. Hopper Dredge ever ordered is to be built to ABS Class. Manson Construction Co. has commissioned Keppel AmFELS to build the hopper dredge, Frederick Paup, in Brownsville, Texas. The 420-foot-long dredge, which will be the U.S. flagged, is expected to be fully operational by 2023.
“ABS is highly experienced at supporting delivery of both Jones Act vessels and complex, specialist maritime projects, such as this,” said Arijit Roy, ABS Vice President, North America Regional Business Development. “We are proud to work with Manson and Keppel AmFELS to facilitate the delivery of this landmark vessel to ABS class.”
“This dredge is the culmination of years of work by our dedicated team, and I am honored to bear its name,” remarked the dredge’s namesake, Manson’s chairman of the board, Frederick Paup. “We are proud that it will be U.S. built, U.S. flagged, and U.S. crewed and will support the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ mission of keeping the marine transportation highway open throughout the United States.”
Mohamed Sahlan Bin Salleh, president of Keppel AmFELS, said: “We are pleased to be selected by Manson Construction Co. to build the largest self-propelled U.S. hopper dredger. It highlights the capabilities of our shipyard to build an array of vessels for the Jones Act market. This project will be supported by our highly-skilled local workforce and suppliers across the U.S., including ABS, with whom we have a long-standing relationship.”
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships