As many as 3 people have died and 9 are missing as a cargo ship collided with a fishing boat 60 Nautical Miles off Mangaluru coast. IFB Rabah was on its way from Beypore in the Kozhikode district of Kerala when it collided with MV APL Le Havre ship coming from Singapore. The boat had 14 fishermen onboard on Sunday evening when the incident happened.
Now, reports have emerged that 3 of them have died while 9 are still missing. The crew launched a rescue operation as soon as the incident happened which retrieved 5 people, of which 3 died. Later coast guard officials launched a thorough operation.
The owner of the fishing boat, Mamantakathu Jaffer has confirmed the death toll stating that the authorities have informed him about the mishap.
“The workers had joined duty only on Sunday. The boat set off for fishing from Beypore harbour on Sunday and collided with the ship at around midnight on Monday,” said Haneefa Haji the Vice President of Kerala Fishing Boat Operators Association.
Of the 14 fishermen who were on the boat, 7 are from Tamil Nadu and the rest from Odisha and West Bengal. The Indian Coast Guard has saved 2 fishermen from the sea. Sunil Das from West Bengal and Vel Murugan of Colachel in Tamil Nadu have been rescued.
“In a swift sea-air #SAR operation @IndiaCoastGuard deployed 03 #ICG ships & aircraft to search for 14 fishermen of IFB Rabah approx 43 NM west #NewMangalore #today. 02 crew found, search for other crew in progress,” the coast guard tweeted.
3 coast guard ships and choppers are looking for the rest of the fishermen.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine