Norwegian Cruise Line’s Cruise Ship Norwegian Dawn
Named by famous Hollywood star Kim Cattrall, the Norwegian Dawn Cruise Ship embarked on her maiden voyage in the year 2002. Since the start of its operations, the Norwegian cruise ship has provided a substantial value addition to the global cruising fleet. Remarkably distinct from the other fleet of the Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) yet retaining their vintage style and resplendence, the Norwegian Dawn symbolised the dawn of newer trends in the global cruising panorama.
The world renowned shipbuilding company Meyer Werft undertook the constructional contract of the Norwegian Dawn. Ideally designed for families to enjoy and luxuriate, the cruise ship also bears the recognition of being the cruise line’s principal vessel for same-sex union families.
Post a decade after it was built, the Norwegian Dawn underwent extensive renovations. These renovations were carried out to provide further enhancements to its already elite amenities thereby paving the way for more potential cruisers to be tempted to be a part of the Norwegian Dawn’s varied itinerary. A few of the most select singularities of the Norwegian cruise ship can be pinpointed as follows:
Norwegian Dawn Cruise Ship:
- Length of over 950 feet with a width of over 100 feet and a draught of almost 30 feet
- GRT of over 92,000 tons with a DWT of around 7,500 tons
- Voyager carrying capacity of over 2,200 cruisers supported by a crewing complement of almost 1,100 personnel
- Voyaging speed of around 22.5 knots provided by two diesel-electrical engines, each generating power around 20 megawatts
- Highly refreshing cruising destinations spread across scenic locales in New England, the Bermudas, Caribbean and Canada
- Special getaway weekender cruise trips to exotic destinations
- Emphases on casual and ‘freestyle’ cruising experience rather than a more formalised routine
- Spectacular entertainment amenities for voyagers of all ages including comic shows, theatricals and musicals
- State-of-the-art facilities for recreational exercising and gaming like basketball courts, pools and spas, jogging tracks, movie theatres and even libraries for book enthusiasts
- Glitzy lounges, bistros and pubs providing incomparable experiences
- Appetising array of cuisines from all over the world, enticing the palate of the voyagers
Norwegian Dawn: Incidents and Present-day Status
The Norwegian Dawn cruise ship became the subject of intense media scrutiny following a chain of incidents and freak mishaps. The vessel’s reputation however remains intact and it remains one of the major star-studded attractions of the global cruising paradigm.
References: ncl, wikipedia