It is of utmost importance to have a well aligned propeller shaft in a boat, else it may lead to heavy vibration and noise leading to efficiency reduction and in extreme cases failure of shaft components. The alignment of the shaft can be achieved through a constant velocity joint connecting propeller shaft and boat engine.
What is Sigma Drive?
It is a constant velocity joint coupling which allows power transmission between engine and propeller shaft at variable angles but at a constant speed. It also performs two main functions:
- Rotates the propeller shaft without transferring engine vibration in the propeller shaft.
- Resists propeller thrust going to the engine without the need of thrust bearing.
Features of Sigma Drive
It is a constant velocity joint manufactured from alloy of bronze which enables it to withstand the heat generation and provides a long service life with less maintenance.
It helps in self alignment of propeller shaft which is passing through rubber bearing and shaft seals to increase the working life of all propulsion system.
It can be used from engine lying in range of 10 bhp to 1300 bhp and claims to be the only such system that can be used in V drive gear box.
It also acts as an angular corrector with a deviation limit of + 4 ̊.
- Compact in size as compare to other mountings and easy to install.
- No modification of propeller shaft or other drive system needed.
- It can be fitted in direct as well as v drive propeller shafts.
- It eliminates the requirement of thrust bearing.
- Made up of bronze hence equipment in antioxidant and ideal for marine use.
- Can be fitted in both new and refit vessel.
- Almost eliminates vibration from the normal running system.
- Reduces noise level.
You may also like to read-Rudder With a Difference : Kick Up Rudder
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine