A sailing knife on board can help you cut ropes, undo knots, and much more. When the tool serves many purposes, choosing a reliable one is a good idea. This post helps you with the same by listing the ten best sailing knife options you can buy. Not only that, the guide below helps you understand how to compare these knives.
Table of Contents
What should you know when buying a sailing knife?
Once you know the parameters to compare these sailing knives, choosing among them becomes easy.
A sailing knife can be a fixed, foldable, or multipurpose tool. The option you choose is dependent on personal preference. The sturdiness of the fixed knife makes it easy to cut ropes. The versatility of the multipurpose tool is what helps it stand out. In case you need an option between the two, choose a foldable blade knife with a long blade.
Ultimately it is the blade that will cut ropes and untangle knots. The shape and material of the blade matter a lot. Serrated blades are preferred over plain ones. The material should be stainless steel, carbon steel, or other metal alloys. Simultaneously ensure that the blade material isn’t susceptible to rust.
To cut rope easily, ensure the blade is at least 2.5 inches long. A longer blade is undoubtedly beneficial, but it also makes the knife challenging to store. Keep that in mind and choose the knife accordingly.
Go with a knife that offers a slip-resistant or easy-to-hold handle. By applying minimum pressure, you can cut the rope to untangle knots.
The knife should either come with a sheath or be foldable and come with a lanyard or carrying loop. It must be easy to store so that you can keep it with yourself at all times.
While comparing the sailing knives below, judge them on these parameters to pick the best.
1. Customized Sailing Gift Knife
- A thoughtful gift with your unique message. Makes a great birthday gift or Father's Day Gift.
- A handsome laser engraved rosewood handle and durable bead blasted stainless steel create a lasting design that can handle any job you tackle. Because every piece of wood is unique, the final engraved product may be slightly lighter or darker than pictured.
- Strong 3" stainless steel blade with partially serrated edge. Closed length is 5", open length is 8-1/4".
- This custom gift is made to your exact specifications. Engraving color may vary slightly, as each piece of wood is unique.
- Includes a practical nylon pouch with belt loop so your knife will always be at your side.
This knife ticks many boxes like a customised, stainless steel blade and foldable. The ability to engrave your vessel/boat’s name certainly makes it special. Stainless steel blade along with a serrated edge makes cutting rope easy.
Whether you prefer a gift item or for personal use, this sailor’s knife is a good buy. Using it with an open length of 8.25 inches and a rosewood handle is easy. It has a nylon pouch and a belt loop, allowing you to keep it handy.
- Custom engraving possible
- Sturdy blade
- Foldable design
- Rosewood handle
- Appropriate length
- Includes accessories
- The pouch can be better designed
2. Maxam 8.5″ Rigging Knife
- Get The Job Done - This sailing knife features a full-tang blade for optimum balance and leverage even under extreme conditions. Cut cordage and thick bushes easily with this fixed blade marine knife.
- Undo Knots & Shackles - This knife with sheath includes a marlin spike for splicing lines, loosening tight knots, and unlaying ropes. The shackle key in the knife blade is great for sailing/camping.
- Durable German Fixed Blade Knife - The knife tool and spike are made of German stainless steel that won’t break easily. It also features a solid teak wood knife handle that's sturdy and comfortable.
- Carry It With You Anywhere - This boat knife kit comes with a bonded leather sheath to protect both the blade and spike. The leather knife pouch is designed with a belt loop for added convenience.
- Secure, Non-Slip Grip - The wood grip knife is fixed with a solid teak wood handle that's sturdy and securely screwed on the tang. Its contoured design ensures you have a steady, comfortable grip.
Prefer a fixed-blade knife instead? If so, this full-tang stainless steel blade knife is a good choice. The handle provides you with a proper grip and makes it sturdy. Couple that with the leather sheath, and it is easy to carry this knife around.
The nonslip grip makes cutting rope easy. The overall length is 8.5 inches, and the blade length is 3.8 inches. The polished spike helps you undo knots. Sturdiness and grip are what help this knife stand out.
- Teakwood handle
- Includes accessories
- Extremely sturdy
- Heavy-duty stainless steel blade
- Comparatively heavy
3. PHAETHORNIS GUY Sailor’s Survival Knife
- 【Superior Quality】 All stainless steel construction for the main part of this sailor's survival knife, which features ultra-tough with high hardness and rust resistance for durability and great performance.
- 【Survival Multi Tool】 EDC multi tool will give you various options like screwdriver, can opener, knife, ruler, key ring and more when you need it, it can be used for home repair or outdoor survival need to ensure safety.
- 【Portable and Compact】 Compact hand-held pocket size emergency rigging tool get a contoured and compact shape which enables you to take it anywhere you wish without taking up a lot of space.
- 【Sailing-Specific Tool】 Embedded with a variety of practical tools, combining typical functionality with sailing-specific tools, perfect for knots that mock you and shackles that refuse to let go during boating and sailing outdoor adventure.
- 【Special Gift】 Our mariner navy knife will be a special gift for your father, husband, boyfriend who do boating or sailing, or other outdoor activity like exploring, hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, etc.
When on-board, multipurpose tool always serves well. This tool offers you a sailor’s knife, can opener, wire stripper, and screwdriver.
The versatility is what helps it stand out. The stainless steel blade and the compact design make it easier to use. The foldable design ensures you can keep it in your pocket when not in use. The embedded key ring helps you in hanging it.
- Multiple tools on offer
- Foldable design
- Stainless steel construction
- Extremely compact
- The keyring can be bigger
4. Maxam 3 3/4 Inch Sailor’s Tool
- A DYNAMIC NAUTICAL KNIFE: The Maxam Sailor’s Tool is a powerfully-effective multi-sailing, -fishing, -camping and -hunting tool that’s designed for fast/easy cutting access—and is efficiently-packed in a sleek ruggedly compact stainless-steel body.
- THE PERFECT ECONOMY SAILING KNIFE: Featuring a honed blade, marlinspike, shackle key, bottle opener and stainless-steel handle with a 2”-ruler on one side, 5-cm on the other, our functional sailor’s knife measures 6.125” long when opened and 3.75” closed.
- A PRACTICAL RIGGING KNIFE: With a durably robust marlinspike running along the spine and a lanyard ring for secure storage, our affordable sailor’s tool can easily be utilized to pick lines as well as loosen all kinds of difficult-to-untie knots.
- AN IDEAL GIFT FOR ANY OCCASION: Elegantly sleek, affordably stylish and packaged in a nice gift box, Maxam’s Sailor’s Tool makes for a thoughtfully memorable as well as economical gift that’ll show any outdoor enthusiast just how much they mean to you.
- CUTTING-EDGE ADVENTURE GEAR: Maxam creates high-powered multi-use sporting knives and reliable survival tools that are dependable, low-cost and come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
When sailing, a multipurpose tool always comes in handy. This one works as a nautical knife, shackle key, bottle opener, marlinspike, and honed blade. Couple this with a stainless steel handle, and it is easy to hold and use, with an overall length of 6.125 inches.
Since all the tools hold back into the knife and you get a clearing along with the knife, it is relatively easy to store. Stainless steel construction and its multipurpose design make it a worthy and reliable option.
- Multipurpose design
- Stainless steel construction
- Extremely versatile
- Easy to grip
- The knife length is a bit smaller
5. Myerchin Sailors Tool Linerlock
- Crafted from the highest quality materials
- Built for performance and durability
- Made in China
The combination of aluminium and stainless steel makes this knife stand out. The aluminium handle provides proper grip and durability. Cutting ropes is easy because of the stainless steel blade. The serrated design makes the blade more effective.
Knife is compact as it measures only 5 inches. The nylon sheath included with the knife enables easy storage. Sturdy construction and excellent grip give you no reason to complain.
- Extremely durable
- Excellent grip
- Comes with a nylon sheath
- Compact design
- Finishing can be better
6. BW German army mariner navy knife
- This is a army style knife from the German military bundeswehr marines. PREMIUM QUALITY
- The Marlin spike has a security lock system and lanyard loop
- This tool can be used for loosen difficult knots, the knife is especially popular with sailors
- The length of the blade is 3.15 inch, total length 7.48 inch
- The weight is: 120 g
Need an army-styled sailor’s knife?
The military-grade quality of the sailor’s knife makes it reliable. It comes with a locking system and a lanyard loop. Cutting ropes and untangling difficult knots gets done efficiently with this knife.
A blade length of 3.15 inches and a total length of 7.48 inches makes it easy to use. The blade and handle are metal-made, making it more durable than other knives. On the flip side, this increases the knife’s weight to 120 g. In terms of reliability, this best sailing knife is second to none.
- Military-grade quality
- Includes a locking system
- Sturdy metal construction
- It consists of a lanyard loop for easy storage
- Comparatively bulky
7. DULEES Marlin Spike Rigging Knife
- ⛵【Multifunctional Use】 One end of the rigging knife is a sheepsfoot blade, which is convenient for sailors, assemblers and shipbuilders to use daily on the ship, and is equipped with a shackle opener to open and tighten the screw pin shackles used on offshore rigging. A flat screwdriver bit is also arranged at the end of the knife.
- ⛵【Marlin spike knife】 The other end of the rigging knife is the marlin spike, which is the main tool for all ropes. It can quickly untie the rope for splicing and unknotting, particularly if the knot has been repeatedly soaked and strained over the course of time. There is also a lanyard loop for safe storage, which is flexible and convenient to use.
- ⛵【Selected material】 DULEES Sailor knife blade and marlin spike are made of 58-60C hardness stainless steel. With the correct precision, it will improve the hardness and wear resistance of Sailing Knife, corrosion resistance and durability. The non-slip scale patterned handle and comfortable grip make this rigging knife easy and safe to use. It is recommended to wash with water after use.
- ⛵【Convenient storage】 Rigging knife is equipped with a storage bag with a ring. When the operation is over or is not needed temporarily, the marlin spike knife can be easily stored on the belt to free your hands or other sailing activities when participating in boating, fishing or sailing.
- ⛵【Best Gift】 This is a great holiday gift, Christmas present, surprise for your husband, father, men and for women also who like to get the work done by themselves. Marlin spike knife is great for things like boating, sailing, fishing, camping. would make a great addition to your camping gear, boating gear, go-bag.
The multipurpose design of this knife ensures that you get a marlin spike, sailor’s knife, and sheep foot blade all in one. This makes this knife suitable for sailors, shipbuilders, and assemblers. A screwdriver bit further makes it versatile. A unique feature is the 58-60C hardened stainless steel blade. Even when dealing with thick ropes, the hardened blade comes in handy.
Since it comes with a storage bag, it is easier to take it with you on a sailing trip. The ring further helps you in keeping it close to you. With all the necessary features present, this versatile sailing knife is sure to grab your attention.
- Multipurpose design
- Comes with a case
- Hardened stainless steel blade
- Lanyard loop available for safe storage
- Grip design can be better
8. Brass Binnacle Nautical Marine Sailor’s Bowie Knife
- This is a beautiful marine version of the famous Bowie Knife with solid brass fittings that will not rust.
- The design was used by sailors at sea, and would take into port where firearms were not permitted. The black handle is made from polished Buffalo Horn.
- The Marine Bowie's blade is made of tempered carbon steel and is .210 inches (5.3 mm) thick and 1 7/8 inches (4.8 cm) wide. This knife is very large and measures 16 3/4 inches (42.5 cm) overall and weighs 1 pound 11 ounces (754 grams).
- The thick high quality top grain leather sheath weighs 5.6 ounces (159 grams). The blade is shipped unsharpened but can easily be sharpened to a razor sharp edge.
- The top edge can be left partially sharpened or fully sharpened for back slashing.
Many sailors prefer a more durable blade. The tempered carbon steel blade (rust-resistant) of this knife fulfils that requirement. The thickness of 0.210 inches and overall knife length of 16-3/4 inches makes it suitable for numerous applications. Razor sharp edge can be sharpened easily to cut ropes and untangle knots.
It comes with a leather sheath which makes storage easy. Excellent durability is why this life is on our list.
- Tempered carbon steel (rust-resistant) blade
- Long blade
- Easy to sharpen
- Comes with a sheath
- Bulky at 754 g
9. DULEES Multi-Function Sailor Knife
- ⛵【Navigation Helper】Do you like to drive your own boat out to sea during holidays? DULEES marlin spike knife is specially designed for professional sailors, sailing enthusiasts, sailing hunters and campers. If you want to experience a better sailing experience, you must bring a rigging knife, it will be a good helper for your sailing adventure.
- ⛵【Marlin spike】Marlin spike is the most important and practical function of marlin spike knife. It can quickly untie and splice the ropes on the ship, especially when we go to sea for a long time and the knots are repeatedly soaked and tightened by sea water, use both hands Unable to untie, the Marlin nail can easily help us untie all the ropes.
- ⛵【Multifunctional use】 The rigging knife is mainly designed for complex marine environment. ①Marlin spike quickly untie the tight rope. ②The serrated sheep's hoof knife cuts the rope safely. ③The shackle wrench can easily release the D-ring rigging shackle. ④A flat-blade screwdriver is designed on the end of the knife to facilitate daily screwing.
- ⛵【[Selected material】 The DULEES Sailor knife blade is made of 58-60 C hardness stainless steel, and the surface is treated with vacuum ion plating titanium to improve the surface hardness and wear resistance of the rigging knife, corrosion resistance, and improve service life.
- ⛵【[Best gift】 The surface of Sailing Knife is titanium-plated and presents starry sky gray, and the color and shape are more fashionable and beautiful.. Make it a great holiday gift. If your husband, father or friends around you like boating, sailing, fishing, camping, etc., this will be the most suitable gift for you.
The next one is a multipurpose Marlin Spike rigging knife. The titanium handle and stainless steel blade help this knife stand out. The overall blade length of 2.56 inches and serrated blade design cut through the ropes quickly.
Along with the knife, you get a shackled range, flat-blade screwdriver, and Marlin Spike.You get a hang buckle which makes storage easy. A titanium handle with a hardened blade gives it an edge over other options.
- Durable construction
- Hardened blade
- Multipurpose tool
- Inbuilt hang buckle
- Sharpness retention of the blade can be better
10. Davis Deluxe Rigging Knife for Sailing
- ⚓ Deluxe Rigging Knife (2 Pack) comes with a marlin spike, shackle key & screwdriver
- ️ Made of top-quality stainless steel to reduce rust
- ⛵ Dura-edged blade for precision
- Pocket-knife design for safety while at sea
Precision blade construction helps this sailing knife stand out. It includes a rigging knife blade, Marlin Spike, screwdriver, and shackled key. Of course, there is a clearing for easy storage. All these tools fold into the knife and make it compact.
Sturdy stainless steel construction keeps it rust-free and doesn’t give you a reason to complain. When looking for a pocket knife that can be used for cutting rope, this one fulfils all the requirements.
- Stainless steel construction
- Extremely versatile
- Rust resistant
- Blade edge can be better designed.
The right sailing knife can make your job easier when on water. Refer to the buying guide to compare these ten best sailing knife options. Choose between these, and you won’t have to worry about tangled knots or cutting ropes.
You might also like to read-
- 10 Best Inflatable Life Jackets
- 10 Best Sailing Watches
- 10 Famous Yacht Marinas In The World
- What are Hydrofoil Boats?
- Main Types of Catamarans Used in the Shipping World
Disclaimer: The authors’ views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Marine Insight. Data and charts, if used, in the article have been sourced from available information and have not been authenticated by any statutory authority. The author and Marine Insight do not claim it to be accurate nor accept any responsibility for the same. The views constitute only the opinions and do not constitute any guidelines or recommendations on any course of action to be followed by the reader.
The article or images cannot be reproduced, copied, shared, or used in any form without the permission of the author and Marine Insight.
Get the Latest Maritime News Delivered to Your Inbox!
Our free, fast, and fun newsletter on the global maritime industry, delivered everyday.
Zahra is an alumna of Miranda House, University of Delhi. She is an avid writer, possessing immaculate research and editing skills. Author of several academic papers, she has also worked as a freelance writer, producing many technical, creative and marketing pieces. A true aesthete at heart, she loves books a little more than anything else.