Get the Full Deck Department Combo Pack at 20% Discount
The Ultimate Guide to Deck Machinery Procedures and Operations
A deck officer on board ship is responsible for a number of important jobs, which also includes handling ship’s navigation. From monitoring loading and discharging of the cargo to maintenance and primary upkeep of the ship, deck officers perform some of the most vital operations which allow smooth operation of the ship.
No matter what type of ship you are working on, as a “deck officer” or “mate” it’s your primary duty to ensure that proper procedures and safe working practices are followed while carrying out master’s order. Needless to say, working as a deck officer is not an easy job. Sometimes you are required to handle a number of jobs simultaneously whereas other times you might have to face unexpected dangerous emergencies. Whatever the situation, you being a responsible deck officer are required to be thoroughly prepared to ensure minimum risk to the ship and its crew.
Considering these points, along with a number of queries we have received over the past years, Marine Insight has compiled the eBook- The Ultimate Guide to Deck Operations and Procedures to help deck officer and crew members in carrying out all the important deck jobs with utmost ease and safety.
If you are a deck officer working on ships or are studying to become one, then you must be aware of the nitty-gritty involved with deck and cargo operations. While performing duties such as standing watch for navigation and security, operating and maintaining deck equipment systems, and handling lines to secure vessels to piers or other vessels, a deck officer needs to follow step-by-step procedures in order to avoid risks to the ship and his life. Following safe working procedures therefore a must while handling deck operations and that is exactly what this eBook provides.
The eBook Answers Some of the Frequently Asked Questions
- Starting and stopping deck machinery such as bow thruster, steering gear, ballast system, mooring winches, anchor ebook deckwindlass, hydro-blaster, lifeboats, and life rafts
- How to carry out a safe port watch?
- What is the importance of ship’s lookout and what are his duties?
- What are entries are to be made in ship’s log-book?
- What are the important guidelines to carry out anchoring procedure safely and smoothly?
- What are the different methods for anchoring ships?
- How to carry out pilotage operation?
- What all things should be taken into consideration while handling a deck crane/ lifting operation?
- What safety measures should be taken while working aloft?
- How to perform a safe mooring operation? What are snap-back zone and rope bight?
- How to avoid accidents during mooring operations?
- How to prepare your ship before entering cold weather area?
- How to prepare your ship for rough weather?
- How to prepare your ship for piracy affected area?
- How to stay prepared and alert for oil pollution accidents?
- How to handle an oil spill on ships?
- What to do when your ship is attached by pirates?
- What is emergency/ crash maneuvering and how to prepare for one?
- How to perform emergency steering operation?
- What is beaching?
- How to perform abandon ship operation with different means?
Get 4 Bonus With This eBook:
Chapters in Detail
What Mariners are Saying About this eBook?
The knowledge pool of hardworking and sincere officers onboard has converged into an e-book by Marine Insight team. Maritime Industry needs such books ardently to update the knowledge base and experience of their human resources. These guides are a must when shipping companies are stressing on imparting training to all seafarers. Their portability as an e book is an added feature as they can be assessed and distributed easily.
-Capt. Swapnil Hemchandra Dhamankar ,Marine Superintendent – Corporate Compliance , Fleet Management
A commendable effort by Marine insight team to create awareness about various deck machinery and the difficulties officers and crew members face while operating them. The comprehensive nature of book suggests it is a useful tool for all newly joined officers as well as for the seniors. – Manumaan Singh , Chief Officer , British Petroleum
This eBook has been long awaited by seafarers. Finally, hands-on experience of the best from the maritime industry come assimilated in one book. The handy format and the precise content are the promising features, which make this e book efficacious for all my fellow seafarers including myself, who on numerous occasions have felt the need for an expert’s advice and righteous guidance. The elaborations in this book are exactly what a seafarer looks for. A must read and keep for all those who are a part of the maritime industry.- Abhishek Bhanawat, Chief Officer, Seaarland Ship Management
I take this opportunity to congratulate Marine Insight team on their efforts in the e book – The Ultimate Guide to Deck Machinery Procedures and Operations. The book comes timely for the rescue of seafarers, who need to keep themselves updated consistently to cope up with present day automation. - Capt. Rishi Sharma, CEO, Advance Maritime Training Institute (AMTI), Gurgaon
Grab 4 FREE Bonuses With This Book