Have you ever anticipated getting caught in a catastrophic marine fire onboard? What would be your duty when every second counts and there is no local fire department to call? Your moral quandary pushes you to help the ones in danger but how much can you spare if you don’t have the best tool!
We suggest you the innovative FM-200 Waterless Fire Protection Systems which is people-safe, fast-acting, space-efficient, and collateral damage reducing.
How FM-200 Waterless Fire Protection System works?
FM-200 is stored in cylinders as a pressurized liquid for quick release. Due to its low boiling point, it discharges as a gas which extinguishes fires promptly through a combination of chemical and physical heat removal. Unlike other fire extinguishers, FM-200 does not muffle flames by removing oxygen from the environment; instead it removes heat energy from fire. The fire fighting system absorbs heat from the flame zone and disrupts the chemical chain reaction of the combustion process. This helps put out the fire quickly, minimizing the risk of explosion and collateral damage.
FM-200 is specially designed for marine fire fighting and is distributed uniformly throughout the protected area of a vessel, such as the engine enclosures, electrical controls, machinery compartments, and other marine applications. Water or water mist may not penetrate inside cabinets or reach a fire that is underneath machinery compartments, whereas the FM-200 gas can penetrate easily into obscure or hard to reach areas with its 3-D capability.
Fire fighting on ship pertains to the tactics and abilities of the crew. The FM-200 Waterless Fire Protections System serves the purpose well. Here are a few of its benefits:
- Detecting and eliminating fire within 10 seconds.
- Preventing extensive fire damage and minimizing combustion by-products.
- Attributing to people-safety and environmentally friendliness.
- Cutting down potential injuries.
- Eradicating the risk of collateral damage and downtime.
- Replacing ozone-depleting Halon fire suppression systems.
- Requiring minimal floor space for cylinder storage.
- No need of evacuation unlike CO2.
- Longevity – in pressurized cylinders, FM-200 remains unchanged for decades.
- Affordable and cost-effective compared to the loss of high-value assets.
- Manufactured under rigorous quality and purity standards.
- Applications flexibility — effective on Class A, B, and C fires
FM 200 Waterless Fire Protection is the most effective marine fire fighting system which is used on numerous marine applications including:
- Engine compartments
- Electronic controls
- Electrical equipment
- Generator compartments
- Communication centres
- Paint lockers
- Flammable liquid storage areas
- Cargo spaces
- To replace existing Halon 1301 systems
- Can be used in place of CO2
- In all occupied spaces.
Fire dissemination, being one most unlikely but probable accidental peril at sea, now-a-days the precaution measure with the FM-200 Waterless Fire Protection System is a common practice to almost all marine vessels, including US Army Watercraft, Alaska Marine Highway System ferries, German Coast Guard patrol boats, Turkish patrol boats, Inland waterway barges in Europe etc.
Apart from saving marine lives and properties it is also beneficial in the long run as it is highly environment-friendly. These are non-emissive and do not deplete stratospheric ozone. Hence it has been approved for use around the world by international organizations like NFPA, FM Global, International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea and International Marine Organization.
Because of its advance technology and eco-friendliness the FM-200 Waterless fire fighting system is assumed to remain the most efficient and beneficial marine fire fighting system, if not the only, for a few more years to come.
You may also like to read-Dos and Don’ts to Avoid Fire in the Ship’s Accommodation Area