With the increasing number of professionals entering the maritime industry, it is important that there is an organization which protects and educates the rights of maritime professionals no matter where they are. Each country has its own maritime union or an organization which helps the seafarers with several important activities. In this article we will have a look at an organization – the maritime union of India and how this organization helps the seafarers of the country.
What is Maritime Union of India?
The maritime union of India is an association of Indian merchant navy officers. It was founded on the 3rd of December 1939 and since then is operated and governed by an autonomous non profitable body. The name- Maritime Union of India was adopted on 31st March 1944.
The Indian National Ship owner’s Association (INSA) is also a member of MUI. By a rule, all the officers working under INSA registered companies have to be a member of MUI.
If you are a seafarer from India, it is imperative that you become a member of the Maritime Union of India. There are several benefits of the same. To know how the maritime union can be useful, read the benefits below.
Benefits of becoming a member of MUI
The following are the main benefits of becoming a member of MUI
1) You can claim limited medical expenses for you and your immediate family (wife and kids) from MUI after producing documents required by the MUI.
2) If you are sailing and your wife or kids are undergoing medical treatment or hospitalisation, your wife is eligible to claim the limited medical expenses after producing documents required by MUI.
3) After the membership of MUI your COC is insured to provide financial support if there is a marine court of inquiry in India or Abroad.
4) If required, you and your wife and kids can stay at convalescent home provided by MUI at some places with prior approval and booking.
5) In your absence your wife can avail all the facilities.
6) MUI is affiliated to organisation like -The international Transport Workers Federation (ITF) UK and Indian seafarers federation and thus in a difficult situation abroad MUI can extend a helping hand to its member.
7) MUI provides guidance for matters which includes medical, legal and income tax matters to its members.
8) A magazine is with all the news and latest information including articles, events and seminars comes as a quarterly subscription for members of MUI.
9) In case of death or accident of officer onboard, MUI extends helping hand to the officer and family members for matters like claims and insurance.
10) If you are sailing in a vessel and your route changes to a war zone and piracy affected zone, then you can take help of MUI for immediate sign off without going to the danger zone.
To know more about the Maritime Union of India visit their website here.
References and Image Credits