With the increase in piracy at the sea, especially around the coast of Somalia, several maritime organizations and defense agencies have started providing online updates on events related to maritime piracy that are taking place around the world.
Governing authorities have also realized the importance of educating seafarers on issues related to maritime security and piracy. From pioneer governing agencies like the International Maritime Organization to security firms providing anti-piracy solutions, everyone provides their insights and views online on contemporary issues related to maritime security near the coast of Somalia.
In this article, we have presented twenty eight online resources which would help those who seek to understand the issue of piracy at sea and also the shipping professionals seeking guidance and help regarding the same.
The list also includes websites of authorities providing security along the coast of Somalia, live piracy maps, and piracy reporting contact numbers.
Maritime Piracy Resources
- Piracy Guidance from International Maritime Organization (IMO) – Circulars, codes, and resolutions by IMO
- IMO Piracy Resources – Resources on Maritime Piracy by IMO
- NATO Shipping Centre – Information from NATO Naval forces for maritime security
- Live Piracy Report from ICC – Information on piracy events as and when they happen
- Maritime Security Council – The non-profit organization for security of maritime industry
- Save Our Seafarers – The campaign to save seafarers from sea piracy
- RECAAP – The regional cooperation agreement on combating piracy and armed robbery against ships in Asia.
- INTERCARGO – Piracy – Piracy Briefing from INTERCARGO
- MENAS – Middle Easy navigation aids services
- Maritime Piracy – Humanitarian Response – Program to help seafarers and their families affected by piracy attacks
- EUNAVFOR – Project Atlanta – The operation to protect vessels operating near Somalia
- International Chamber of Shipping – Piracy resources from International chamber of shipping
- NAVAREA III Warnings (Mediterranean Sea) – Piracy warning in Mediterranean Sea
- NAVAREA VIII Warnings (North Indian Ocean) – Piracy warning in North Indian Ocean
- NAVAREA IX Warnings (Red Sea/ Arabian Sea/ Persian Gulf) – Piracy warning in Red Sea/ Arabian Sea/ Persian Gulf
- BIMCO (Members only) – Piracy information for BIMCO members
- Pirat – A Project on Piracy and Maritime Terrorism as a Challenge for Maritime Trade Security
- International Maritime Crimes – Great resources from International Maritime Crimes – Center for International Law
- Agent C – Employing Computational Modelling, Simulation, and Optimization to Fight Maritime Piracy
- MERLN – Piracy resources compiled by The National Defense University
- Piracy- Europe – Conferences on combating piracy
- Civil Military Fusion Center – Anti-piracy reports (Update: CLOSED ON NOVEMBER 30, 2013)
- Piracy Reports (Paid) – Paid reports on maritime piracy from RAND Corporation
- Best management practices for protection against Somalia based piracy – A report by International chamber of commerce (ICC)
- 24 Hours Maritime Security hotline – 24 hours maritime security hotline from ICC
- Maritime Security Centre – Horn of Africa – Provides service to mariners in piracy affected areas
- Sea Sentinel – Lloyds Register Fairplay service for ports, security & risk information (Paid)
- UK – P&I Club Piracy Resource – Piracy resource from UK P&I Club
Marsec Review – Maritime Security Review – Provides news and expert reviews on maritime security.
OCEANUSLive – Offers maritime situational awareness to enhance safety and security at sea
Neptune Maritime Security – Features latest maritime news and articles. Also offers maritime security services.
If you think we have missed any important resource on maritime piracy, then please let us know and we would add it to the list.
Image credits : Industrial Marine Power