Oasis of the Seas is the world’s largest cruise ship. It is included in the fleet of Royal Caribbean International. Oasis of the Seas was launched on November 20, 2009. It is not only the largest cruise ship in the world, but also the most expensive cruise ship.
The world’s largest ship is a serious competitor for another maritime wonder, Liberty of the Seas. Oasis of the Sea is a luxurious traveling city. It has shopping streets, bars, restaurants, and an amphitheater the size of a football field. And if this is not enough, the ship is also equipped with its own micro-climate and rock-climbing walls.
Some interesting facts about the World’s Largest Cruise Ship
1. The ship is 1,187ft long and 240 ft tall.
2. The weight of the ship is 220,000 tones.
3. The capacity of the ship can accommodate 6,296 guests and 2,164 staff members
4. The ship can use 22 acres of carpet
5. The ship can carry 2,300 tones of swimming pool water
6. It produces 50metric tones of ices cubes per day
The main attractions of the world’s largest cruise ship, that can make for a ‘dream holiday’ include the unique Rising Tide bar which is the first ever moving bar at sea, a Central Park with living trees and a hand crafted carousel, and an Aqua-theatre that provides a perfect backdrop to theatrical performances.
The contents of the enormous vessel include 2,700 rooms – some more extravagant than others. If one wants ultimate luxury, he/she can try the Royal Loft suite which is 1,524sq ft of pure indulgence with an accommodating private wet bar, library and baby Grand piano.
A wide hull is created by the designers to keep the ship stable without increasing the draft excessively. About 30 feet (9 m) of the ship sits beneath the water. It is just a small percentage of the ship’s overall height.
Some of the interesting features of Oasis of the Seas that will justify the vessel as the world’s largest cruise liner are as follows:
- It has a price tag of US $2.5 billion (euro2 billion).
- Ship’s data:
- Guest Capacity: 5,400 double occupancy
- Gross Tonnage: 222,900
- Staterooms: 2,700
- Decks: 16 high
- Length: 1,184 feet
- Max Beam: 154 feet
- Draft: 30 feet
- Cruising Speed: 22 knots
- Construction details:
- Area of steel: 525,000 sq metres
- Welding seam: 2,500 km
- Painted surface: 850,000 sq metres
- Paint: 630,000 litres
- Electric cable: 5,000 km
- Automation sensors: 30,000 pcs
- Pipeline (>25 mm): 250 km
- Sprinkler heads: 16,000 pcs
- Sprinkler pipelines: 100 km
- Accommodation details
- Seats for passengers: 26,000 pcs
- Air conditioned area: 150,000 sq metres
- Carpet area: 90,000 sq metres
- Window area: 8,000 sq metres
- Works of art: 7000 pcs
- Water in pools: 2,300 metric tons
- Fresh water generated: 4,100,000 litres per day
- Ice cubes generated: 50 metric tons per day
- Power details
- Power plant: 97,020 kw
- Propulsion power: 60,000 kw
- Bow thrusters: 22,000 kw
References: sky news, wacky archive